Location: Anywhere in Canada (remote)
Salary: $4,000/month on a six-month contract
Deadline: Sept. 25, 2020
The Narwhal is seeking an Assistant Editor to play a crucial role in supporting our growing newsroom. The successful candidate will get the rare opportunity to be part of a team producing award-winning in-depth and investigative journalism about Canada’s natural world.
Think of us as part start-up, part newsroom and part non-profit. As a reader-funded news organization, our goal isn’t to sell advertising or to please corporate bigwigs — it’s to bring evidence-based reporting and analysis to the surface for all Canadians.
The Assistant Editor role is a new six-month contract position, with the possibility of extension. The successful candidate will be resourceful, detail oriented and passionate about non-profit journalism.
The storytellers in any society hold tremendous power. At The Narwhal, we recognize that this is both a privilege and a responsibility and we aim to use this power for the public good. We recognize that environmental journalism must be grounded in respect for Indigenous knowledge and Indigenous rights. The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate awareness and a complex understanding of Indigenous issues.
The Assistant Editor will play a critical role supporting The Narwhal’s editorial team in all aspects of publishing and promoting content and audience growth.
- Copy edit and proofread articles and other copy
- Assist with story research
- Source and edit images
- Assist with story layout
- Assist with the production of newsletters
- Help with management of social media accounts
- Create graphics to illustrate stories and for sharing on social media
- Moderate comments on website and social media
- Respond to messages from readers
- Assist with developing audience growth strategies
- Maintain image library
- Load and transcribe videos
- Help maintain up-to-date subscriber and member databases
- Assorted copywriting tasks
- Assorted administrative tasks
Required skills and experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a firm grasp of CP Style
- Experience working in journalism (virtual or IRL)
- Experience managing social media accounts
- Demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and juggle multiple tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Desired skills and experience
- Experience creating graphics
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Experience in a non-profit environment
- Video editing skills
Please don’t be discouraged from applying if you do not possess the precise combination of all of the skills, attributes, qualifications and experience listed above.
To apply, please send us:
- A cover letter and resumé, combined into a single PDF document with the file name: [your name]Narwhal-AssistantEditor and submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put “Assistant Editor” in the subject line.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No calls please. We expect to begin interviews in early October.
The Narwhal is working to build an inclusive and equitable team that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in media. Read our commitment to more thoughtful, inclusive journalism.