Location: Anywhere in Canada
Hours: Full time (willing to consider reduced week for right candidate)
Type: Permanent position
Deadline: Nov. 25, 2021
Start date: Jan. 10, 2022
The Narwhal is an award-winning online magazine that publishes visually stunning, in-depth and investigative journalism about Canada’s natural world.
Think of us as part newsroom, part non-profit and part tech start-up. As a non-profit, reader-funded news organization, our goal isn’t to sell advertising or to please corporate bigwigs — it’s to bring high-quality, evidence-based news and analysis to the surface for all Canadians. We’re leading a revolution in public-interest journalism that is reinvigorating the relationship between readers and the reporters who hustle on their behalf — and we want you to join us.
The storytellers in any society hold tremendous power. At The Narwhal, we recognize that this power represents both a privilege and a responsibility and we aim to use this power for the public good. We recognize that environmental journalism must be grounded in respect for Indigenous knowledge and Indigenous rights. The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate awareness and a complex understanding of Indigenous issues.
About the gig
We are seeking an experienced aesthetic maven to help lead and evolve The Narwhal’s award-winning brand and visual storytelling.
As our Art Director, you’ll get the rare opportunity to be a visionary force behind a dream team producing some of the most beautiful, in-depth journalism in Canada about the natural world. You’ll most likely be working remotely (because narwhals eschew captivity), but you’ll receive plenty of motivational gifs from our team.
The Art Director will work closely with The Narwhal’s team of editors and report directly to the Executive Editor.
- Manage a growing roster of talented freelance photographers, graphic designers and illustrators to produce original art for The Narwhal
- Produce graphics, maps and illustrations in-house
- Manage relationships, contracts, budgets and invoices for photography, design and artwork
- Support photographers in the field through safety planning, logistics and budgeting
- Conceptualize and manage the artwork for numerous ongoing projects including events, fundraising campaigns, multimedia projects including podcasts and documentary films, newsletters and social media platforms
- Work closely with The Narwhal’s team to manage a bustling content calendar of stories on time and on budget
- Manage The Narwhal’s visual identity, ensuring brand consistency across platforms
- Be responsible for oversight of story design and layout on the website
- Closely manage The Narwhal’s photo gallery and database of imagery
- Oversee the production of The Narwhal’s annual print edition
- Conceptualize and manage data visualization projects with The Narwhal staff and freelancers
- Raise The Narwhal’s profile as a leader in visual storytelling, photojournalism and on-the-ground reporting
- Manage relevant awards submissions
- Champion our ad-free, reader-funded, non-profit journalism model
Required skills and experience
- At least three years of experience working in an art director, designer or similar role at a news publication
- A track record of award-winning design and art direction
- Proficiency with graphic design
- Experience managing a diverse range of people, particularly freelancers
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and to juggle multiple tasks
- Commitment to ensuring that The Narwhal provides an outlet for a rich diversity of voices and viewpoints, and access to networks to draw in diverse new contributors
Desired skills and experience
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Knowledge of Canadian energy and environment issues and Indigenous Rights
What we offer
- Group health benefits after three months
- Professional development opportunities
- A fun, flexible, digital workplace with a vibrant, collaborative culture
- Four weeks vacation to start
Please don’t be discouraged from applying if you do not possess the precise combination of all of the skills, attributes, qualifications and experience listed above.
To apply, please send a cover letter, portfolio and résumé to email@example.com by Nov. 25, 2021, at the latest. Please put “Art Director” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted further. No calls please. We anticipate beginning the interview process in late November.
The Narwhal is working to build an inclusive and equitable team that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.